BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Newland, Gloucestershire

Several generations of Burgums lived near Newland, in the Forest of Dean.



Kelly's Directory of 1870 described Newland as “a pleasant village and extensive parish, 4 miles south-west from Monmouth, 3 from Coleford, and 8 miles from Lydney station on the South Wales Railway, in the Western Division of the county, Saint Briavels hundred, union and county court district of Monmouth, rural deanery of The Forest (South), archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.” It was one of the oldest parishes and included the chapelries of Bream and Coleford and the tithings of Clearwell, Lea Bailey, and Newland itself. ”The church of All Saints is a handsome stone building, having a tower with pinnacles and 6 bells, nave, aisles, chancel, and three side chapels: it was entirely restored in 1862, at an expense of over 4000 pound, and four memorial windows placed there, one to the Du Carcel family, Newland House, one to the Rev. Thomas Birt, and one to Miss Bricksdale, of Birchamp House; there is also one to Lieut. J. P. Brickdale, together with several interesting monuments of the time of Edward 111; there is an organ, and a very beautiful and ancient font."

There was a Grammar school, (founded 1627), ”for twelve free scholars of the parish” and almshouses (held by Haberdashers' Company). The overall population in 1861 was 5,147, with 676 in the parish of Newland itself.

Kelly’s Directory of 1870 listed the principal residents as -
Gentry and Clergy
Brickdale, Mrs. - Birchamp House
Coke, Robert, esq. - J.P.
Corbett, Capt. Richard J. - The Dark House
Dighton, Capt. John Henty - J.P. The Oak House
Mather Rev. Herbert, M.A. [curate] - The Vicarage
Palmer, Mrs. - Newland House
Perkins, Rev. Charles Mathew, M.A. - The Grammar School
Ridout, Rev. George, B.C.L. [vicar] - The Lecturage
Taylor, Miss - The Cottage

Trades and Professions
Beard Thomas - farmer, Coxbury Farm
Cox, James – blacksmith and post office
Dunscombe, James - farm baliff to Mrs Palmer, Newland House
Hankins, William - farmer, Tanhouse Farm <
Harris, James - farmer, Newland Farm
Harris James, junior - farmer, Glyn Farm
Langham, Goodrich - deputy gaveller of Dean Forest
Polley, James - carpenter
Price, Edwin - farmer, Wye Seal
Savidge, Charles - farmer, Mill End
Taylor, Bennet - farmer, Mill End
Taylor, Mrs Elizabeth - farmer, Mill End
Taylor, Thomas - farmer, Valley Farm
Voyce, John William - Ostrich Inn
Worgan, John - farmer, Cherry Orchard Farm

The map below shows the principle areas in the Forest of Dean where Burgums and Burghams lived.
1. Abenhall               2. Flaxley             3. Littledean           4. Lydbrook           5. Lydney          
6. Mitcheldean         7. Newland           8. Redbrook           9. Ruardean