BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Ruardean, Gloucestershire

Several generations of Burgums lived at Ruardean.



RUARDEAN, a parish in the hundred of St. Briavel's, county Gloucester, 6 miles from Ross, its post town, the same distance N.W. of Newnham, and 3 from Mitcheldean Road railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a lofty ridge, overlooking the valley of the river Wye. The Severn and Wye railway passes through the parish. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The surface is elevated, and is watered by a small brook, called Bishop's Brook, which separates this parish from the county of Hereford. The substratum contains limestone and coal.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £100, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has a spired tower containing six bells. The W. window is enriched with tracery. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum. Kingsmill Manby Power, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are ruins of an ancient castle.
Description from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)



The map below shows the principle areas in the Forest of Dean where Burgums and Burghams lived.
1. Abenhall               2. Flaxley             3. Littledean           4. Lydbrook           5. Lydney          
6. Mitcheldean         7. Newland           8. Redbrook           9. Ruardean