BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Passenger Ships and Pictures

Below is a list of ships, with pictures, that are relevant to the Burgums or Burghams in one way or another. Each contains a description of the ship and the reason why it relates to the Burgum or Burgham families. If you can supply more information relating to the family or their passage to another country , please e-mail Doug at the BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY. Thanks...

The Baltic

The BalticThe Baltic was known as one of the 'big four' steamships built by Harland and Wolff for the White Star Line at Belfast, in Northern Ireland. When launched in November 1903, she was the world's largest ship. She was a British Merchant vessel, with a displacement of 24,876 tons and a length of 725 feet long, capable of carrying nearly 900 passengers and 2000 steerage. The Baltic had a top speed of 17 knots and was driven by twin screw triple expansion engines.

John Burgum, of Birmingham (England), travelled on the Baltic, leaving from Liverpool (England), arriving in New York on April 18th, 1909, clearing immigration at Ellis Island. John was married and aged 64.

The Baltic was used as a troop transport during World War One. She was laid up in 1932 and finally broken up in 1933.
The Berengaria

The BerengariaThe Berengaria was originally called the Imperator and was launched on 23rd May 1912 at the Vulcan Shipyards, in Hamburg, Germany. She was built for the Hamburg-Amerika Line in direct competition to the White Star liner Olympic (sister ship to the Titanic). Late changes were made in both hull design and equipment, being launched only 5 weeks after the Titanic disaster. She had a displacement of 52,117 tons and was 909 feet long. She had 3 funnels and 2 masts, four turbines, and a maximum speed of 24 knots. At the time the Imperator was the world's largest ship. During World War One the Imperator lay protected on the river Elbe. At the end of the war the Allied forces of occupation found the ship rusted, decayed in the mud. It served as a US Army troop transport until August 1919, when it was transferred to Britain and sold to the Cunard Line. Retaining the name Imperator, it made its first voyage for Cunard on 11 December 1919 from New York to Southampton. On 21 February 1920 it made its first voyage from Liverpool to New York. The ship continued to serve this route but it was decided to change the name to the Berengaria and converted from coal burning to oil burning engines.

George Edwin Burgham, of Yorkley in the Forest of Dean (England), travelled on the Berengaria, leaving from Southampton (England), arriving in New York on December 31st 1922, clearing immigration at Ellis Island. George was married and aged 30.

The ship operated successfully on Cunard's express service in conjunction with the Mauretania and Aquitania. 1933 saw another major overhaul for the ship at Southampton, during which the interior was upgraded. The withdrawal of the Mauretania in 1934 placed further pressure on the ship to operate more efficiently and in 1935 she set a record passage on the New York to Southampton route. She was damaged by fire at New York in 1938 and finally scrapped in 1946.
The Campania

The CampaniaThe Campania, owned by Cunard, was introduced on the North Atlantic route in 1893, together with her sister ship Lucania. At the time, they were the largest ships in the world. She carried 1,700 passengers and 416 crew. She had a displacement of 18,000 tons, was 620 feet long, and was driven by twin screw triple expansion engines. She had a maximum speed of 22 knots.

In 12th September 1903, William Burgom ( a US citizen) arrived in New York, from Liverpool (England). He was married, aged 35, and was accompanied by two children Arthur Burgom (age 10) and George Burgom (aged 3).

In 1915 the Campania was converted to an aircraft carrier. She was sunk in 1918 after drifting into the battleship Revenge.
The MV Chinese Prince

The Chinese princeThe Chinese Prince was not a ocean-going liner. It was a Merchant Navy cargo ship routing from Port Said, Egypt, via Cape Town, to Liverpool carrying 9167 tons of cargo including potash, currants and magnesite. The vessel, under the command of Master Wilma Finch, had a crew of 64. The ship was torpedoed on Thursday 12th June 1941 and 45 crew members perished.

Amongst those to die was Alfred Edgar Burgum, son of Samuel and Susan Mary Anne (Perrin) Burgum ("AA" family tree). He was forty-five. He left behind his wife Edith and four children Michael, Graham, Peter and Elaine. Alfred's name appears on a panel (panel 28) on the Tower Hill Memorial, in London, commemorating men of the Merchant navy who have no known grave.

Click here to read the full story of, not one, but three Burgums or Burghams torpedoed in the Second World War.
The Duke of Devonshire

The Duke of DevonshireThe SS Duke of Devonshire was built at Barrow in 1873 for the Eastern Steamship Company of London and initially operated between England and Calcutta. It was later owned by the Duke of Devonshire Steamship Company. Weighing 3,257 tons gross, it was a four-masted iron screw steamer of 278 horse power.

William Burgum, age 25, and Alice Burgum, age 21, ("RR" family tree) travelled on the "Duke of Devonshire" and departed from London on 21st May 1901 and arrived in Brisbane on the 17th July 1901. The picture (left) shows the ship moored at the coal wharves in South Brisbane harbour in about 1898.


The SS Duke of Devonshire completed its last voyage from London, via the Suez Canal, to Djakarta and then Brisbane in 1902. The ship was sold to Italy in 1903, but then scrapped later the same year.
The SS Essex The SS Essex

The SS Essex was built by John Brown at Clydebank in 1902 as cargo vessel and owned by The Federal Steam Navigation Company London. It weighed 7000 tons and was 460 feet long. It was driven by triple expansion steam engines.

Timothy Burgum, age 58, and Lillian Burgum, age 26, ("RR" family tree) travelled on the "SS Essex" and departed from Liverpool on 8th July 1911 and arrived in Brisbane on the 9th September 1911.

The ship was finally scrapped in 1933.
The Etruria

The Etruria Launched in 1885, the Etruria was the last major steamship built for the Cunard Line, (together with the Umbria) . She had a displacement of 7,718 tons and was 502 feet long. She had two funnels, single screw compound engines and a maximum speed of 20 knots. With 550 saloon passengers in luxurious accommodation, the magnificent decor and fittings provided the new concept of a "floating hotel." In May 1885, for her record-breaking westbound passage, the Etruria took the Blue Riband of the Atlantic.

On 12th August 1894, Richard Burgham arrived on board the Etruria from Liverpool (England) and registered at Ellis Island, New York. He was 42 years old.

The Etruria was scrapped in 1909.
The  Friesland The Friesland

The Friesland was built by J & G Thomson, at Glasgow, for the the Red Star Line in 1889 and launched 15th August 1889. She had one funnel, four masts, a single screw, and a speed of about 15 knots. She had a displacement of 7,116 tons and was 437 feet long. Sailing under the Belgian flag, she had space for 226 first class, 102 second class and 300 third class passengers.

Anna Burgum, a German travelled from Antwerp (Belgium) to New York on the Friesland, arriving at Ellis Island on 16th May 1893. She was married and aged 18. There appears to be no connection with the UK Burgums.

The Friesland mainly sailed on the Antwerp-New York route until being transferred to the American Line in 1903, when she was refitted and moved to the Liverpool-Philadelphia route. She completed her last voyage in 1911 and sold in 1912.
The SS Hamburg

The  SS HamburgThe SS Hamburg was built by the Blohm & Voss Shipbuilders of Hamburg, Germany, and launched in 1926 for the Hamburg America Line. She was the sister ship to the SS New York. The Hamburg weighed 21,132 tons and was 635 feet long. She had capacity for 222 1st class passengers, 471 2nd class, and 456 3rd class passengers.

Edwin Berry Burgum ("JJ" family tree), his wife Mildred and their daughter Naomi sailed on the SS Hamburg, departing from Southampton on 8th August 1932. They arrived in New York City 6 days later on 13th August 1932. (US Passport No. 477668). Berry was Associate Professor of English at New York University.

The SS Hamburg was used by the German Navy for accommodation in 1940. During the evacuation of German forces from the Eastern Front on 7th March 1945, she struck a mine and was sunk. Salvaged by the Soviets in 1950, she was finally scrapped in 1977.
The SS Majestic

The Majestic The SS Majestic was a huge old White Star Line ship, one of several ships to have had this name. This liner had a displacement of 10,150-tons and had, for a time, been under the command of Captain E. J. Smith (Captain of the ill-fated Titanic). It was holder of the Blue Riband in 1891 for a Liverpool - New York crossing of 5 days, 18 hours and 8 minutes, at an average speed of 20 knots.

In 1893, Ann Burgham (age 54), of Liverpool (England), travelled on the Majestic from Liverpool to New York, with Eva D. Burgham, aged 22, Thomas E. Burgham (aged 20) and Silvester Burgham (aged 14). They arrived at Ellis Island on 10th May 1893.

On 16th April 1914, a Sheffield-based scrap firm, Thomas Ward's, bought Majestic for the sum of £26,700, and 3 weeks later arrived at Morecambe, Lancashire under her own steam for breaking up.
The Mauretania

The Mauretania The Mauretania, sister ship to the Lusitania, was built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson at Newcastle (England) in 1906. Fitted with revolutionary steam turbine engines, she made her maiden voyage from Liverpool to New York on 16th November 1907 and set a new record on her return journey back to Liverpool. Breaking the record a further seven times, she held the east bound record for twenty-two years! In 1909 she broke the westbound record and held that for twenty years. At the time, it was the largest, fastest and most luxurious passenger liner in the world.

In 1909, Arthur John Burgham (aged 29) of Cinderford, in the Forest of Dean (England), travelled from Liverpool to New York, arriving at Ellis Island on 11th June. He was accompanied by Margaret Burgham (aged 25) and Margaretta Burgham (aged just 11 months). In 1910, Maud Burgham, an English woman (aged 40) from Mold, in Wales, travelled on board the Mauretania. She had boarded at Queenstown (Cork), in Ireland and arrived at Ellis Ireland on 17th June 1910.

During the First World War the Mauretania worked as a troopship and a hospital ship, returning to Cunard in 1919. In 1923, travelling from Cunard's new base at Southampton, Gertrude May Burgham (aged 26), from Yorkley in the Forest of Dean, travelled on board the Mauretania arriving at Ellis Island on 6th July 1923. She had with her Sydney George Burgham (aged 5) and Josephine Burgham (aged 1). The Mauretania made her last crossing in 1934 and was scrapped the next year year.
The Paris

The Paris The Paris was began in 1913, but delayed due to the Fisrt World War. It was not completed until 1919! Carrying 2,132 people, she was 764 feet long, and was 34,569 gross tons. Driven by steam turbines, powering 4 propellers, she achived a speed of about 22 knots. The French did not try and compete with the British, Germans and others, chasing the Blue Ribbon speed records. Instead they went for luxury. America had tightened its immigration laws after WW1 and the Paris tried to attract the rich and famous, with great accommodations, telephones and wonderful food.

In 1923, Josephine Burgum, a French woman (married and aged 26) from Monzbromn, travelled from Le Havre (France) to New York, arriving at Ellis Island on 11th August 1923. (Josephine is an interesting mystery. Who was she?).

In 1929 the Paris went aground on the Brooklyn shore and then was badly damaged by fire at Le Havre four months later. In 1939 another fire was to prove fatal to the Paris again at Le Havre. Water was poured onto the blaze on board, but the Paris became top heavy and keeled over, trapping the Normandie beside her. Her masts and funnels had to be cut away to free the Normandie. The Paris remained in the harbour throughout the Second World War. In 1946 she damaged another ship, sinking the Liberté! She was finally removed in 1947.
The SS Philadelphia

The SS Philadelphia Built and launched at Glasgow for the Inman Line in 1889 the ship was originally called the "City of Paris" and sailed the Liverpool - Queenstown - New York route. The ship weighed 10,500 tons, was 527 feet long and could carry 540 1st class passengers, 200 in 2nd class and 100 3rd class passengers. The ship changed name and ownership several more times before going aground off of Cornwall, England. She was refloated and repaired at Belfast and renamed the SS Philadelphia and, from 1901, operated the Southampton - Cherbourg - New York route. In 1914 she was transferred to the Liverpool - New York service.

Christine Burgum, a US Citizen, age 26 and married, travelled on board the Philadelphia from Liverpool to New York. She arrived at Ellis Island on 12th January 1916.

The SS Philadelphia finished her career under the ownership of the New York - Naples Steamship Company. In Naples the ship was detained due to outstanding debts and scrapped at Genoa in 1923. Is this the SS Philadelphia that Marconi equipped in 1902, while testing his wireless system, or was that a previous vessel?