The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names

Biographical Notes

The following are extracts from biographical notes, compiled in various books or journals, relating to Burgums and Burghams or their families.

A.T. Burgum, Elizabeth Hall and family
(An extract from "One Hundred Years with Arthur, 1882-1982")

Elizabeth Hall Burgum, daughter of Samuel W. Hall, came to the site of Arthur, North Dakota in 1881. Samuel W. Hall and his family had moved progressively westward from Massachusetts and prior to his reaching Dakota Territory, had lived in Illinois, Kansas and Iowa. When in Illinois, as a young man, he and his four brothers enlisted in the Illinois Volunteers during the Civil War. His four brothers were killed and Samuel Hall suffered a bullet wound in the neck and, according to his daughter Elizabeth, the bullet was never removed. Elizabeth said that Arthur began with a carload of lumber being dropped off a frieght car. Her father, Samuel Hall, converted the lumber into a general store and living quarters. This store eventually became the Arthur Mercantile Company.

Elizabeth Hall was married to Anthony T. Burgum, a gentleman farmer in the Arthur area, in 1884. They had three daughters, Zana, Elizabeth and Frances, who grew up and went to schools in the Arthur-Hunter area. A.T. Burgum farmed Section 31 in Webster Township until his retirement when he then built a house in town. A.T. Burgum took an active part in the advancement and building of the M. E. Church of Arthur and he also filled various school and township offices during his long residence in the area.

Zana Burgum married I.A. MacAdam and moved to Minnesota, Arizona and then later, after the death of her husband, back to Arthur. In 1945 she moved to El Centro, California and then to Anaheim, California where she lived until her death. They had four children - Angus Burgum McaAdam, James F. MacAdam, Joseph A. MacAdam and Peggy Elizabeth MacAdam. Angus MacAdam has retired from the Lockheed Corporation and is currently living in Encinitas, California. He divides his time between ocean fishing and the construction business in which he is a partner with his brother-in-law.

James MacAdam is living in San Francisco with his wife, Ileene. He has been retired for several years from government service as an electronics engineer, working primarily in the field of electronics weapons development. He has several patents to his credit which are used by the Navy Department. He now spends his time travelling and working with electronic equipment for a San Francisco College.

Joe MacAdam lives in Palmdale, California and is a retired FAA Supervisory Air Traffic Controller. He is very busy, working with his wife, Raedell, as a real estate broker, travelling and being involved in six or seven Masonic organizations. Peggy MacAdam Anderson lives in Encinitas, California with her husband, Robert, and their two daughters, Bobbie and Sandy. Peggy keeps very busy running the office of Anderson Construction Company and the mini-ranch complete with thirteen head of horses and ponies. She also keeps up with and supports their daughters' activities which include working, painting, musi and above all - horses. The girls have rooms filled with trophies from California horse shows and compete in the Quarter Horse, Arabian and Hackney fine harness divisions. They evidently inherited their love of fine horses from their mother, their grandfather, I.A. MacAdam, and their great-grandfather, A. T. Burgum.

Elizabeth Burgum married A. K. Scott and lived in the Minnesota, Montana and Arthur areas. After his death, she became postmistress in Arthur until she retired and moved to Redwood Falls, Minnesota where she lived with her son Sandy. While in Arthur, she was very active in civic and school affairs and the Methodist Church. In 1969, she and her son moved to Encinitas, California. Elizabeth and Alex had two sons, A.K. (Sandy) Scott and Robert James Scott. Sandy Scott is retired from the Federal Aviation Administration and Postal Service. He is leading a very active life, travelling, fishing, amateur radio (hamming) and always has six or seven projects cooking. One of his current projects is making a solar system for his home. Robert Scott is still working as an electronic engineer for the Navy in San Diego and is frequently being flown to various parts of the world as one of the Navy's top trouble shooters working with highly classified weapons and navigation systems. Robert and his wife, Jeanine, live in San Diego with their four children, Nancy, Randy, Richard and Pamela.

Frances Burgum married Ted McConichie and after her marriage lived in Minnesota and the Dakotas. They had two sons, Robert and Gordon. Robert McConichie is currently in England representing IBM for a two year stint. He nad his wife, Joyce, and several of their children are enjoying researching family and historical events, also going to school (the children) and visiting Europe when possible. Gordon McConichie and family live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin where he is the administrator of a hospital.
Alton Burgum and Dorothy (Williams) Burgum
(An extract from "One Hundred Years with Arthur, 1882-1982")

Alton Burgum, son of Joseph A. and Jessamine Burgum, was born on June 7, 1907. He attended grade school and high school in Arthur, and one year at the University of North Dakota. In 1926 he began a 55-year career with Arthur Farmers Elevator. Currently he is president of that company. In 1935, Alton married Dorothy Williams, daughter of Emma and James Williams of Arthur. Dorothy attended public school in Arthur and Moorhead Sate University. Through the years, Alton served on the Arthur School Board, City Council, United Methodist Board, First State Bank Board, and the Good Samaritan Society Board. Dorothy has been active in church activities, Arthur Town Homemakers, and St Lukes Hospital Auxiliary. They have one son, Frederick (Rick) Williams Burgum.
Joseph Arthur Burgum, Jessamine Slaughter and family
(An extract from "One Hundred Years with Arthur, 1882-1982")

Joseph Arthur Burgum and his wife, Jessamine Slaughter Burgum, were early settlers in North Dakota. Joseph Burgum's parents came from England in 1872 and farmed in Iowa until the spring of 1882 when they came to Arthur, North Dakota. Anthony Thomas Burgum, father of Joseph Burgum, bought land in Gunkel Township southeast of Arthur for $2.00 an acre at that time. Jessamine Burgum's parents were Major B.F. Slaughter, a doctor who with his wife, Linda Slaughter, came up the Missouri River with Custer's Army, and located at Fort Lincoln, near Bismarck, North Dakota.

Joseph Burgum homesteaded in the spring of 1884 along the Missouri River near Washburn, North Dakota. He met his wife at Washburn, and he and Jessamine were married in Bismarck in 1894. Before marriage, Mrs Burgum taught school at Painted Woods, near Washburn. She would sometimes ride her pony side saddle to Bismarck, a distance of about 40 miles, and then ride back the same way on Sundays. In 1893 she was one of the first four students to attend what was the North Dakota Agricultural College, now North Dakota State University, at Fargo. Later she was honoured by having a dormitory, Burgum Hall, at North Dakota State University named for her. She also received the Alumni Achievement Award.

Mr & Mrs Burgum made their home at Washburn until 1900 when they returned to Arthur. While living at Washburn, two children were born to them: Arthur C. and Marjorie Lee. Returning to Arthur, Mr Burgum became the manager of the Northwestern Elevator Company and later of the Arthur Farmers Elevator Company. Three sons were born to them: Leland S., Alton T., and Joseph B. Mr Burgum served on the Arthur Town Board and was also president of the Arthur School Board when it was a four-room school which replaced the one-room school. In April 1902 on Arbor Day, Mr Burgum and the teacher, Olive Bogue (Mrs Louis Bettschen), planted a small elm tree near the school. This beautiful shade tree, after 80 years, is still standing just north of the Arthur United Methodist Church. The tree has sheltered hundreds of students who attended the Arthur School and is still sheltering those who now attend Dakota School in Arthur.

Marjorie Burgum was graduated from Hunter High School, then went on to Mayville State College at Mayville, North Dakota. She taught the primary grades at Arthur for two years, and then went to the University of North Dakota at Grand Forks, where she graduated in 1922. She taught in the high schools at Dickinson, Casselton, and Jamestown, before her marriage in 1928 to Joseph C. Peltier of Hancock, Michigan. They were parents of two children, Joseph Charles and Janice Jessamine, born while they were living in Bismarck.

The Peltier family later moved to Bozeman, Montana, and Minneapolis, Minnesota. The family returned to Arthur later where Joe and Janice were graduated from the Arthur High School. Joe continued his studies at North Dakota State University, Fargo, from which he graduated. He married Norma Skunes of Grandin. They are the parents of four children, Keith, Jeffrey, Suzette, and Betty Jo. Janice Peltier was graduated from the University of North Dakota, Grand Forks. She was married to Robert Samuelson of Devils Lake, North Dakota. They have four children, Mark, Margaret (Peggy), Jim and John. The Samuelson family live in Ames, Iowa, where Mr Samuelson is on the State Staff of the Iowa Highway Department. Marjorie Peltier was employed for several years as the bookkeeper at the Arthur Farmers Elevator Company, and now, retired, makes her home in the Village Apartments in Arthur.
Joseph B. Burgum, and family
(An extract from "One Hundred Years with Arthur, 1882-1982")

Joseph B. Burgum was born on September 2, 1917, in Arthur, the youngest son of J.A. and Jessamine Burgum. Joey, as he was known then, attended school in Arthur and graduated from high school in 1934. Following high school, he attended North Dakota State University, in Fargo and the University of Minnesota School of Law in Minneapolis. Joe enlisted in the U.S. Navy in January of 1942. He served as an officer on a destroyer in the Pacific. While in the Navy, on April 8, 1944, he married a former NDSU classmate, Katherine Kilbourne. She was teaching home economics at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan at that time. Joe and Katherine returned to Arthur in 1947 to continue his work with the Arthur Farmers Elevator Company. The business had been in the Burgum family since 1906, and Joe had been helping his older brothers, Lee and Al, at the elevator since an early age. Joe assumed the responsibilities for managing the elevator in 1962, a position he held until his death on January 31, 1971.

During their years in Arthur, both Joe and Kay were active in many community organizations. Joe also served as clerk for the village board and as treasurer for the Methodist church for most of those years. Katherine was active with the local Republican Party, Homemakers, and school board and served on the building committees for the Methodist church and parsonage. The Burgums had three children, Bradley Joseph Burgum born in 1952, Barbara Kay Burgum born in 1953, and Douglas James Burgum born in 1956. Following high school, Bradley attended North Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota School of Law graduating in 1977. He married Julie Opp of Napolean, North Dakota in 1976 and currently resides in Casselton, North Dakota where he practices law. In addition to his legal work, Bradley is active in managing the family farm interests and serves as a director of the Arthur Farmers Elevator Company. Bradley and Julie have a son, James, who was born in 1980.

Joe and Katherine's daughter, Barbara, is also a graduate of North Dakota State University. She currently lives in Bloomington, Minnesota. Barb works as a manager for Bachmann's European Flower Markets in the Minneapolis area. Douglas became the fifth member of his family and another of the third generation of Burgums to graduate from NDSU in 1978. He continued his education at Stanford University where he received his Master's Degree in Business Administration in 1980. Now living in Chicago, Illinois, Douglas works as a management consultant for McKinsey and Company.

Katherine has continued her activities on the local, state and national level in both the political and community service fields, serving as Republican National Committeewoman from North Dakota and on several national and state boards and commissions. In 1972, she assumed the responsibilities of Dean of the College of Home Economics at North Dakota State University. She held this position, in addition to a number of home economics administration and educational assignments on the national level until her retirement in 1980. Katherine currently serves on the board of directors for Western States Life Insurance Company, The Neurological Institute, and the Arthur Farmers Elevator Company.
Rick Burgum, Jody Stibbe and family
(An extract from "One Hundred Years with Arthur, 1882-1982")

Rick attended public school in Arthur and graduated from the University of North Dakota in 1968. In 1971 he became associated with the Arthur Farmers Elevator Company and is currently secretary-treasurer of that company. Rick serves on the City Council, First State Bank Board, United Methodist Church Board, and the Volunteer Fire Department.

In 1978, Rick married Jody Stibbe of Hunter, North Dakota. Jody attended public school in Hunter and graduated from the University of North Dakota in 1974. She taught special education classes in Twin Falls, Idaho; Arthur, and West Fargo, North Dakota. Jody is a member of the United Methodist Women, Arthur Town Homemakers, Firettes, and the Jr. League of Fargo-Moorhead. Jody and Rick are parents of a daughter, Katherine Jean, born in December 1980. In 1981, Rick developed a handball/racquetball sports club in Arthur.
Thomas Owen (T.O.) Burgum and family
(An extract from "One Hundred Years with Arthur, 1882-1982")

Thomas Owen (T.O.) Burgum, the youngest son of Mr & Mrs Anthony T. (A.T.) Burgum, was born in Yorkshire County, England. (Please note - this is not true; T.O. was born in Woolhope, Herefordshire, England). At the age of ten he came with his parents and family to Villisca, Iowa. The family made their home in Iowa for ten years. The mother died while they were living there. The Burgum family arrived in Arthur, North Dakota in March 1882. Mr A.T. Burgum purchased land, southeast of Arthur, for $2.00 an acre. In the summer of 1884 Thomas Burgum and his brother, Joseph Burgum, went to Washburn, North Dakota where they filed on homesteads. Joseph Burgum made his home there for a few years, but Thomas returned to Arthur. While in Washburn, Thomas Burgum married Margaret Ranard, daughter of Mr and Mrs A.C Ranard, of Washburn.

The Ranard family came to North Dakota with the Burgum family, travelling in three covered wagons. Mr Thomas Burgum and his wife had two sons, Gordon Bradley Burgum and Leslie Ranard Burgum. Their mother died when Leslie Ranard was one and one-half years old so he was raised by his grandparents, Mr and Mrs A. C Ranard, at Washburn. Gordon and his father returned to Arthur and made their home with the A. T. Burgum family until Thomas Burgum was married to Marie Josephine Gillis at Fargo in November 1896. They moved to a farm west of Arthur where they lived until 1902 when they moved into Arthur.

Marie Josephine Gillis was born in Liverpool, England, and when eighteen years old, she came to New Richland, Minnesota with two families of friends. She worked one year for one of the families to pay her passage to the United States. In the spring of 1894 she came to Arthur and for two summers she worked for the A. T. Burgums on the farm. In the winters she would go to Fargo and attend the Sacred Heart Academy, located then in north Fargo. Here she took up the art of painting and sewing. Mrs Burgum continued the art of painting while raising her family. She would travel nine miles east of Arthur about once a week to take a painting lesson from Mrs W. A. Fridley. Some years later she took up china painting and she painted a complete set of Haviland china that her husband bought for her one Christmas from the T.J. Ross store in Arthur.

Mr Burgum was elected chairman of the Arthur Township Board when the township was first organized in the early days. Years later he served as assessor of the Arthur Township. In 1905 and 1907 he served two terms as representative to the State Legislature at Bismarck. Mr Burgum was always interested in seeing that young people would receive a good education, and he was instrumental in Arthur getting a high school. The burgums were the parents of five children, three sons and two daughters. Charles Freeman and William P. both died in infancy, and Foster Owen died at the age of twenty-seven. He graduated from the Law School at the University of North dakota, Grand Forks. Ollie Mae and Lillie Marie were the two daughters.

Gordon Bradley Burgum attended th Arthur School and later St Thomas College in St Paul, Minnesota. He returned to Arthur from St Paul and became manager of an elevator at Arthur. In 1910 Gordon married Olga Schur, the daughter of Mr and Mrs A. J. Schur of Arthur. In 1917 Mr and Mrs Burgum and their daughter, Margaret, went to Washburn to make their home and care for Gordon's grandmother, Mrs A.C. Ranard as his brother, Leslie entered the service. Gordon was employed in a bank in Washburn for several years and then became the rural mail carrier there until he retired at the age of seventy. Gordon Burgum and his wife had three daughters and two sons, Margaret, (Mrs Chet Plasterer) Washburn, Marian (Mrs Kenyon Stevens) Underwood, North Dakota, Edith (Mrs Ray Sheldon) Washburn, John, Bismarck and James, Larimore, North Dakota. Mrs Gordon Burgum died in the fall of 1965 and Mr Burgum in 1977 at the age of eighty-nine.

Leslie Ranard Burgum, who made his home in Washburn with his grandparents, the Ranards, was graduated from Washburn High School and the University of North Dakota, Grand Forks. He married Blanche Gustafson of Washburn, and they had two children. Mary Lois worked for the Basic Electric Co. in Bismarck until her death in 1977 at the age of forty-nine. Their son, Tom Leslie, a graduate of the Law School in Grand Forks, is employed in Washington D.C. Leslie Burgum went into the ministry when a young man. He was the Methodist pastor in several towns, some of which were Arthur, Larimore, MaMoure, and Jamestown. While preaching in the Methodist Church in Larimore, Leslie also attended the University of North Dakota at Grand Forks and was graduated from the Law School. He was States Attorney for Stutsman County in Jamestown for a few years and then was elected to the office of Attorney General of North Dakota at Bismarck. He served a term of seven years as Attorney General, which was a record for the State of North Dakota. Mr and Mrs Burgum continue to make their home in Bismarck in the same apartment they had when moving to Bismarck as Attorney General. At the age of ninety-one, Leslie takes his daily walks summer and winter, when weather permits.

Ollie Mae Burgum, the oldest daughter of Mr and Mrs T. O. Burgum, was born on a farm west of Arthur, now known as the home of Mr and Mrs James Gebeke. She was graduated from the Hunter High School and the Valley City State College. For five years she taught primary grades in the Arthur School. Of all the pupils she taught during that time, only two are Arthur residents at this time: Mrs Alton Burgum (Dorothy Williams) and Eunice Iwen. Ollie taught one year at the State School for the Deaf at Devils Lake, North Dakota. For a time she was employed during the winter months at the ASC office in Fargo. In 1941 she returned to Arthur as the bookkeeper at the Arthur Creamery. She worked there until 1950 when she went to the Arthur Mercantile Company in Arthur as the bookkeeper and is still employed there. In the fall of 1965 she was married to Ray D. Waxler of Seattle, Washington, who, when a young man, lived in the Arthur area. They continued to make their home in Arthur. Mr Waxler died in 1972.

Lillie Marie Burgum was born in Arthur in 1902. She was graduated from the Arthur High School and Valley City State College, Valley City, North Dakota. Her first year of teaching was in a one-room country school in Rush River Township, southeast of Arthur. Later she taught in schools at Max, Fessenden and Alice, North Dakota. She was married at Arthur 19 1932 to Frank J. Hager of Alice. They had three children, Foster Raymond, Finley North Dakota, Marie Josephine (Mrs Llyod Cook), Burbank, California, and Robert Francis, Fargo, North Dakota. Mr and Mrs Hager lived in Alice, North Dakota, where he was manager of the Farmers Elevator Company and later bus driver for the Buffalo, North Dakota School. He died in 1970, and Mrs Hager continued to make her home in Alice until she moved to Fargo in 1979. While living in Alice, she was active in the community and served several terms as clerk of the Alice Town Board. Mrs Hager died in Fargo in 1980.

Ollie Waxler - I would like to add a story or two about my family -
In the summer of about 1899, or there about, my father, T. O. Burgum, and his brother, Joseph Burgum, then living at Washburn, North Dakota had the contract to break land for the W. D. Washburn Land Company, near Washburn. My father was accompanied to Washburn by Fred Standfield who worked for my father on the farm for about fifteen years. These two men drove horses to Washburn to break this land, which was a distance of some 240 miles. The trip took them several days. Mr Standfield was the father of Mrs Sam Lako (Florence) and Mrs Art Hill (Dorothy) who both live in Arthur at the present time.

In January 1923 we lost our home by fire on a very stormy night. We were awakened about 6 A.M. by the smell of smoke. Our good neighbour, Louie Schur, went up town and rang the fire bell located just behind what was the Arthur Garage at that time. The Arthur and Mapleton Basketball teams had a game at Arthur that night and, due to the intense storm, the Mapleton boys did not go home. They stayed at what was known as the Arthur Hotel and spent the time playing cards with some of the Arthur men. When the fire bell rang, all of these men came to our home and helped save most of the furnishings on the first floor. One article was a large grandfather clock, and after 80 years, this clock is now running in my home in Arthur. The men also saved all of my mother's Haviland china dishes. My mother, down on her knees, handed these dishes from the china closet to the men who carried them out and set them against a woven wire fence that was around our yard. As I recall only twelve cups were broken, and my mother replaced them soon after the fire.