The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names

Churches and Cemeteries

  1. About the Forest of Dean, GLS
  2. Abbey Dore, HER
  3. Abenhall, GLS
  4. Aberdare St John, GLA
  5. Abson St James, GLS
  6. Aldgate St Botolph's, LON
  7. Alverstoke St Mary's, HAM
  8. Ashton Cemetery
  9. Aston Ingham, HER
  10. Bagillt St Mary, FLN
  11. Bedwellty St Sannan, MON
  12. Beoley St Leonards, WOR
  13. Bermondsey St Magdalen, LON
  14. Billingham St Cuthbert, DUR
  15. Bilston Churches
  16. Birmingham Churches
  17. Birmingham Cemeteries
  18. Bishopswood, HER
  19. Bochrwd St Cynog's, RAD
  20. Bodfari, FLN
  21. Bolton St Peter, LAN
  22. Bradford St Nicholas, WIL
  23. Bradford St Peter, YKS
  24. Bream, GLS
  25. Bristol, city of
  26. Caerphilly St Martins, MGM
  27. Canewdon, ESS
  28. Cawnpore, India
  29. Chirk St Marys, DEN
  30. Cilcain St Mary, FLN
  31. Cinderford St John, GLS
  32. Christchurch Berry Hill, GLS
  33. Coleford Cemetery
  34. Cornwall Churches
  35. Crewe Christ Church
  36. Darlaston Wesleyan, STS
  37. Deane St Mary, Lan
  38. Derby Churches, DBY
  39. Dixton St Peter's, MON
  40. Drybrook, GLS
  41. Dudley St Thomas, WOR
  42. Dukinfield Cemetery, GTM
  43. Dymock St Mary's, GLS
  44. East Ham St Mary, LON
  45. East Stonehouse St George, DEV
  46. Eglwysilan St Ilan, GLA
  47. English Bicknor St Mary, GLS
  48. Farningham St Peter, KEN
  49. Feckenham St John, WOR
  50. Flaxley St Mary, GLS
  51. Flint St Mary, FLN
  52. Fownhope St Mary, HER
  53. Garth Road Cemetery, Merton, SRY
  54. Garway St Michael, HER
  55. Gateshead St Mary, DUR
  56. Gillingham, NOR
  57. Gloucester St Mary de Lode
  58. Goodrich St Giles, HER
  59. Hackney, LON
  60. Hanley St John, STS
  61. Heaton Norris, Christ Church, LAN
  62. Hereford Churches, HER
  63. Horton Kirby St Mary, KEN
  64. Hyde St Thomas, CHS
  65. Islington and St Panras Cemeteries
  66. Kempley St Mary, GLS
  67. Kidderminster St Mary, WOR
  68. Kimberworth St Thomas, YKS
  69. Ledbury, HER
  70. Linton St Mary, HER
  71. Littledean St Ethelberts, GLS
  72. Llanfihangel St Michael, MON
  73. Llanion Cemetery, PEM
  74. Longhope All Saints, GLS
  75. Lydbrook Holy Jesus, GLS
  76. Lydney St Mary, GLS
  77. Madley, HER
  78. Maldon St Marys, ESS
  79. Mangotsfield St James, GLS
  80. Mitcheldean St Michael, GLS
  81. Monmouth St Mary, MON
  82. Mordiford, HER
  83. Moxley All Saints, STS
  84. Much Marcle St Bartholomew, HER
  85. Nantyglo, MON
  86. Newent St Mary, GLS
  87. Newland All Saints, GLS
  88. Newnham St Peter, GLS
  89. Old Buckenham All Saints, NFK
  90. Oxenhall St Anne's, GLS
  91. Parkend St Pauls, GLS
  92. Pontefract, YKS
  93. Portsmouth Churches
  94. Rawmarsh Cemetery, YKS
  95. Ross on Wye St Marys, HER
  96. Rotherham Minster, YKS
  97. Ruardean, GLS
  98. Shelsley Beauchamp, WOR
  99. Shoreditch, LON
  100. Smethwick, STS
  101. Soho St Anne's, LON
  102. Staunton All Saints, GLS
  103. Stepney St Dunstans, LON
  104. Stockport St Peter
  105. Tameside Cemeteries
  106. Taynton St Lawrence, GLS
  107. Tickenham Quiricus, SOM
  108. Tidenham, GLS
  109. Trevethin St Cadoc, MON
  110. Tutshill St Luke, GLS
  111. Upper Llanfrechfa, MON
  112. Upton St Leonards, GLS
  113. Upton Bishop, HER
  114. Viney Hill All Saints, GLS
  115. Walford, HER
  116. Wednesbury St James, STS
  117. Welsh Bicknor, HER
  118. West Bromwich Christ Church
  119. Weston under Penyard, HER
  120. Whitchurch St Candida, DOR
  121. Whitchurch St Dubricius, HER
  122. Wick, GLS
  123. Woodham Ferrers, ESS
  124. Woolaston St Andrews, GLS
  125. Yardley St Edburgha's, BIRM.
  126. Yorkley, GLS
Drybrook, Gloucestershire.

Burgums and Burghams of the "LL" and "MM" family tree lived here, or nearby.

DRYBROOK HOLY TRINITY, was built on Harrow Hill in 1817. Known as the"Forest Church" it was the secong church to be built in the Forest of Dean (the first was Christ Church at Berry Hill). It was originally built as a free chapel by the Rev. Henry Birkin who was curate at Weston-under-Penyard. He had been holding services within the Forest (at Mitcheldean) for about five years prior to that.

The Parish of Holy Trinity was created in 1842 and included Drybrook, Ruardean Woodside, Ruardean Hill, Harrow Hill and parts of Plump Hill and Edgehills. The church itself, albeit only 200 years old, is built in a Norman styleh, with a chancel, a very wide nave, short in length with a deep west gallery. It has a prch and a tower that holds 2 bells and a clock.

Kelly's Directory for 1879 recorded that the living was " a vicarage, yearly value £300 with residence and 4 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Crown and held by Rev. William Barker, appointed 1866.

Copyright Anonymous 4610 and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

The list below shows the baptisms, marriages and burials that took place at Walford, Herefordshire.

Name Date Location BMD Minister Notes FT
James Burgman 30 Mar 1823 Drybrook Baptism H. Berkin P=Thomas + Mary  
Henry Burgum 21 Nov 1824 Drybrook Baptism J. Herbert P=Thomas + Ann  
Mary Ann Burgum 15 May 1831 Drybrook Baptism J. Herbert P=Thomas + Ann  
George Burgum 15 May 1832 Drybrook Burial J. Chell    
James Bergman 31 Dec 1853 Drybrook Marriage Henry G. Nicholls (2) m=Sarah Ann Philips  
William H. Burgum 04 Apr 1858 Drybrook Baptism W. A. Whitestone P=Anthony T. and Ann FF
Charlotte Burgham 02 Apr 1888 Drybrook Marriage William Barker (3) m=Joseph T. Taylor MM
Salome Burgham 14 Mar 1904 Drybrook Burial W.H. Sharland m=Joseph Burgum LL
Arthur J. Burgham 31 Dec 1906 Drybrook Marriage James Lawton (4) m=Margueretta Holder MM
Eva Burgham 04 Jul 1909 Drybrook Baptism James Lawton (4) P=Samuel + Selina LL
Edgar Burgham 08 Jan 1911 Drybrook Baptism James Lawton (4) P=Samuel + Selina LL
Eunice Burgham 08 Jan 1912 Drybrook Baptism James Lawton (4) P=Samuel + Selina LL
George Burgham 26 Oct 1913 Drybrook Burial James Lawton (4) Age 25  
Samuel Burgum 08 Apr 1914 Drybrook Baptism James Lawton (4) P=Samuel + Selina LL
Ernest Burgham 08 Dec 1915 Drybrook Baptism James Lawton (4) P=Samuel + Selina LL
Agnes J. Burgham 17 Apr 1918 Drybrook Baptism James Lawton (4) P=Samuel + Selina LL
Gladys M. Burgham 28 Apr 1920 Drybrook Baptism James Lawton (4) P=Samuel + Selina LL
Gladys M. Burgham 06 Oct 1921 Drybrook Burial James Lawton (4) P=Samuel + Selina LL
Samuel Burgham 08 Nov 1922 Drybrook Burial H.M. Biddell P=Samuel + Selina LL
Drusilla Burgham 28 Jan 1932 Drybrook Burial George R. Newman   LL?
Samuel Burgham 22 Jul 1934 Drybrook Burial George R. Newman (6) P=Samuel + Drusilla LL
Lucy Jane Burgham 10 Jun 1935 Drybrook Marriage George R. Newman (6) m=Frank Sadler  
Sidney F. Burgham 26 Feb 1938 Drybrook Burial S.E. Easter P=Samuel + Selina LL
Eva Burgham 15 Jun 1940 Drybrook Marriage A.G. Partridge (8) m=George Lewis LL
Selina Burgham 14 Feb 1958 Drybrook Burial Eric J. Hoskin m=Samuel Burgham LL
Kathleen Burgham 25 Sep 1965 Drybrook Burial H.G.E. Hiscox P=Samuel + Selina LL
Ernest Burgham 20 Jul 1976 Drybrook Burial Geoffrey Crago P=Samuel + Selina LL
Agnes J. Burgham 16 Jun 1977 Drybrook Burial Geoffrey Crago P=Samuel + Selina LL
Eunice Burgham 06 May 1978 Drybrook Burial Geoffrey Crago P=Samuel + Selina LL
Marjorie L.e Burgham 25 Aug 1983 Drybrook Burial Alan Wadge m=Edgar Burgham LL

(1) Rev. Henry Berkin was curate at Weston-under-Penyard before he ventured into the Forest, becoming curate at Mitcheldean working and preaching among the Foresters for five years. He first built a school before the construction of the Holy Trinity Church in 1817 at Harry Hill (Harrow Hill) with the Crown gifting the land. Rev Henry Berkin died in 1847 and his grave still exists in the Church Yard surrounded by railings just inside the south east gates.

(2) Rev. Henry G. Nicholls succeeded Rev. Henry Berkin in 1847. He was born in 1823 and studied at Trinity College, Cambridge. Nicholls is perhaps best remembered for his three books including the astonishingly detailed "History of the Forest of Dean" published in 1858. He resigned in 1866 due to ill health and died on New Years Day 1867. He was 44 years old.

(3) Rev. William Barker was vicar of Holy Trinity from 1866 until 1897, the longest seving priest in the Forest Church. He did much to improve the church during his time, including installing a central heating system.

(4) Rev John Lawton, who served this parish from 1899 to 1922. He introduced a surpliced choir, replaced the old Church Organ with the present instrument, and installed the rack of Tubular Bells in our Church Tower. His refurbishment work also included putting in the present pews, redecorating the Church and improving the heating system.

(5) Rev Bellamy served the parish from 1923 to 1927. It is said that, in his time there, he had the largest ever congregation on record.

(6) Rev George R. Newman became the sixth vicar of Holy Trinity. He and Rev. Lawton were the only two vicars of the parish to ride a horse about on his pastoral duties. In 1935 he moved to Tidenham, in the south of the Forest of Dean.

(7) The Rev Easter then took over for just four years until the outbreak of war in 1939.

(8) Rev. Father Partridge arrived in the Vicarage of Holy Trinity in Drybrook accompanied by his man servant from the distant island of Tristan da Cuhna. Father Partridge had served as the agent of the Crown in the capacity of Governor. However colourful he might have been, he proved rather unpopular with the Foresters. Using high church practices were considered alien and eccentric and the congregation fell dramatically.

Click here for information about the later vicars of Drybrook.

Click here for the LL family tree

Click here for the MM family tree

Click here for more about Drybrook and some of the Burgums and Burghams who lived there.