BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Places

  1. RETURN TO PLACES LIST
  2. About the Forest of Dean
  3. Abenhall, Gloucestershire
  4. Adits (definition)
  5. Anchor Inn, Lydbrook
  6. Ariconium, Herefordshire
  7. Arthur and Edward Colliery
  8. Bigsweir, Gloucestershire
  9. Bishopswood, Herefordshireshire
  10. Bixslade (Bicslade)
  11. Blakeney, Gloucestershire
  12. Bloomery (definition)
  13. Bradley House
  14. Brain, Cornelius
  15. Brain, Sir Francis
  16. Bream, Gloucestershire
  17. Bullo Pill, Gloucestershire
  18. Cannop Colliery
  19. Cinderford, Gloucestershire
  20. Clearwell, Gloucestershire
  21. Coalway, Gloucestershire
  22. Coleford, Gloucestershire
  23. Crawshay, Henry
  24. Danby Lodge
  25. Darkhill Brick, Colliery + Ironworks
  26. Dates in the Forest of Dean
  27. Dean Forest (Mines) Act 1838
  28. Dean Forest Railway
  29. Dean Forest (Reafforestation)
    Act 1668
  30. The Dean Forest Riots
  31. Dean Hall, Littledean
  32. Dean Heritage Centre
  33. Dean Road
  34. Delves (definition)
  35. Drew, Catherine
  36. Drifts (definition)
  37. Drybrook, Gloucestershire
  38. Eastern United Colliery
  39. Edge Hills Quarry
  40. Elwood, Gloucestershire
  41. Encloosure Act (1808)
  42. Euroclydon House
  43. Fairplay Iron Mine
  44. Favourite Free Mine
  45. Findall Iron Mine
  46. Flaxley, Gloucestershire
  47. Forest Of Dean Central Railway
  48. Free Miners
  49. Gale (definition)
  50. Gaveller (definition)
  51. Gunns Mill
  52. Green Bottom, Gloucestershire
  53. The Haie (house)
  54. Haie Hill Tunnel
  55. Harvey, F. W.
  56. The Hayes, Blakeney
  57. Hope Mansell, Herefordshire
  58. Hopewell Engine Colliery
  59. Horlick, James and William
  60. Iron Mine Level, Lydbrook
  61. Kensley Lodge
  62. Kings Lodge
  63. Littledean, Gloucestershire
  64. Lower Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  65. Lydbrook, Gloucestershire
  66. Lydney, Gloucestershire
  67. Mine Train Quarry
  68. Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
  69. Monument Mine
  70. Mushet, David
  71. Mushet, Robert
  72. Newland, Gloucestershire
  73. New Mills
  74. Newnham, Gloucestershire
  75. Norchard Colliery
  76. North United Mine
  77. Oaklands Court
  78. Oaklands Park
  79. Offas Dyke
  80. Old Bow Iron Mine
  81. Old Ham Iron Mine
  82. Parkend, Gloucestershire
  83. Perserverance Iron Mine
  84. Pill (definition)
  85. Pillowell, Gloucestershire
  86. Point Quarry
  87. Princess Royal Colliery
  88. Protheroe, Edward
  89. Pubs of the Forest of Dean
  90. Purton, Gloucestershire
  91. Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  92. Ruardean, Gloucestershire
  93. Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire
  94. Ruardean Woodside, Gloucestershire
  95. Scowles (definition)
  96. Siddon, Sarah
  97. Severn and Wye Railway
  98. Severn and Wye Tramway
  99. Severn Railway Bridge
  100. Severn Road Bridge
  101. Shakemantle Iron Mine
  102. Sling, Gloucestershire
  103. Soudley, Gloucestershire
  104. South Wales Railway
  105. Speculation Colliery
  106. Speech House
  107. Speech House Hill Colliery
  108. St Briavels Castle
  109. St Briavels, May-pole
  110. Staple Edge Lodge
  111. Strip-and at-it Colliery
  112. Symonds Yat
  113. Teague, James
  114. Teague, Moses
  115. Trafalgar Colliery
  116. Tramroad
  117. Trow
  118. True Blue Colliery
  119. Union Colliery
  120. Upper and Middle Forge
  121. Upper Lydbrook Station
  122. Upper Mill, Edge Hills
  123. Upper Redbrook
  124. Verderer (definition)
  125. Verderers' Court
  126. Welshbury Hill Fort
  127. Westbury Brook Iron Mine
  128. Whitecliff Furnace
  129. Whitecliff House
  130. Whitecliff Quarry
  131. Whitecroft
  132. Whitecross Manor
  133. Wigpool, Gloucestershire
  134. Wintour, Sir John
  135. Woodside Colliery, Ruardean
  136. Worcester Walk
  137. Yat (definition)
  138. Yorkley Court
Lydbrook, Gloucestershire

Several generations of the "GG" family tree lived at Lydbrook, in the Forest of Dean.



LYDBROOK is a large, linear village stretching down a long valley, with houses stretching high on both sides. The higher end is call Upper Lydbrook while the other part of the towards the River Wye as Lower Lydbrook. It is approxiamtely four miles north from Coleford and eight north-east from Monmouth. Its long valley has high and steep hills on each side, with several narrow lanes leading to houses pertched on its sides. Records show there was a mill at Lydbrook in 1282 and three forges operated in the area. The iron and tinplate works, owned by Richard Thomas & Co., employed many of the local people, being opened in 1871, closing in 1925. Iron and coal were also worked in the area, notably at the Lydbrook Deep Level Colliery. There were also lime kilns, several flour mills and a wire-works. Lydbrook became an important coal port on the River Wye with Forest coal shipped to Ross and Hereford. Later, around 1912 a large cable works was built, producing tons of telephone cable during World War One.

There were two railway stations (Upper and Lower), both high on the north side of the valley, where the Severn and Wye Railway, built in 1872, operating from Lydney, with a branch line to Cinderford and joining the Ross and Monmouth Line close by. Near to Lower Lydbrook Station, the village was dominated by the railway viaduct with nintey feet high stone piers (see picture above). Sadly, the viaduct was demolished in 1969. Public houses included the Crown & Sceptre Inn, the Recruiting Sergeant Inn, the Bell Inn, the Queens's Head and the Forge Hammer Inn. There were several churches, the first being the Church of Holy Jesus, an interesting Early English style building, with nave, chancel, north and south aisles, a tower and one bell. The Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1828, and then rebuilt in 1852. The Baptist Church was erected in 1864, enlarged in 1875, and held about 500 people, while the Wesleyan Chapel was also built in 1864.

William Burgum (1802-1858) worked as a waterman in 1841, a barge owner in 1851 and an inn keeper in 1858. His second wife Eliza Burgum (nee Watkins) was still running the inn in 1861. William's son Alfred (1836-1893) was a brewer in 1861, a butcher in 1871, and a butcher and an innkeeper in 1881. Tom Burgum (b. 1843) was a tin roller, while Amos Burgum (1838-1904) was a puddler in 1861 and a forgeman in 1881.

More on the GG Family Tree here.
Create a link