The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names


  2. About the Forest of Dean
  3. Abenhall, Gloucestershire
  4. Adits (definition)
  5. Anchor Inn, Lydbrook
  6. Ariconium, Herefordshire
  7. Arthur and Edward Colliery
  8. Bigsweir, Gloucestershire
  9. Bishopswood, Herefordshireshire
  10. Bixslade (Bicslade)
  11. Blakeney, Gloucestershire
  12. Bloomery (definition)
  13. Bradley House
  14. Brain, Cornelius
  15. Brain, Sir Francis
  16. Bream, Gloucestershire
  17. Bullo Pill, Gloucestershire
  18. Cannop Colliery
  19. Cinderford, Gloucestershire
  20. Clearwell, Gloucestershire
  21. Coalway, Gloucestershire
  22. Coleford, Gloucestershire
  23. Crawshay, Henry
  24. Danby Lodge
  25. Darkhill Brick, Colliery + Ironworks
  26. Dates in the Forest of Dean
  27. Dean Forest (Mines) Act 1838
  28. Dean Forest Railway
  29. Dean Forest (Reafforestation)
    Act 1668
  30. The Dean Forest Riots
  31. Dean Hall, Littledean
  32. Dean Heritage Centre
  33. Dean Road
  34. Delves (definition)
  35. Drew, Catherine
  36. Drifts (definition)
  37. Drybrook, Gloucestershire
  38. Eastern United Colliery
  39. Edge Hills Quarry
  40. Elwood, Gloucestershire
  41. Encloosure Act (1808)
  42. Euroclydon House
  43. Fairplay Iron Mine
  44. Favourite Free Mine
  45. Findall Iron Mine
  46. Flaxley, Gloucestershire
  47. Forest Of Dean Central Railway
  48. Free Miners
  49. Gale (definition)
  50. Gaveller (definition)
  51. Gunns Mill
  52. Green Bottom, Gloucestershire
  53. The Haie (house)
  54. Haie Hill Tunnel
  55. Harvey, F. W.
  56. The Hayes, Blakeney
  57. Hope Mansell, Herefordshire
  58. Hopewell Engine Colliery
  59. Horlick, James and William
  60. Iron Mine Level, Lydbrook
  61. Kensley Lodge
  62. Kings Lodge
  63. Littledean, Gloucestershire
  64. Lower Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  65. Lydbrook, Gloucestershire
  66. Lydney, Gloucestershire
  67. Mine Train Quarry
  68. Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
  69. Monument Mine
  70. Mushet, David
  71. Mushet, Robert
  72. Newland, Gloucestershire
  73. New Mills
  74. Newnham, Gloucestershire
  75. Norchard Colliery
  76. North United Mine
  77. Oaklands Court
  78. Oaklands Park
  79. Offas Dyke
  80. Old Bow Iron Mine
  81. Old Ham Iron Mine
  82. Parkend, Gloucestershire
  83. Perserverance Iron Mine
  84. Pill (definition)
  85. Pillowell, Gloucestershire
  86. Point Quarry
  87. Princess Royal Colliery
  88. Protheroe, Edward
  89. Pubs of the Forest of Dean
  90. Purton, Gloucestershire
  91. Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  92. Ruardean, Gloucestershire
  93. Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire
  94. Ruardean Woodside, Gloucestershire
  95. Scowles (definition)
  96. Siddon, Sarah
  97. Severn and Wye Railway
  98. Severn and Wye Tramway
  99. Severn Railway Bridge
  100. Severn Road Bridge
  101. Shakemantle Iron Mine
  102. Sling, Gloucestershire
  103. Soudley, Gloucestershire
  104. South Wales Railway
  105. Speculation Colliery
  106. Speech House
  107. Speech House Hill Colliery
  108. St Briavels Castle
  109. St Briavels, May-pole
  110. Staple Edge Lodge
  111. Strip-and at-it Colliery
  112. Symonds Yat
  113. Teague, James
  114. Teague, Moses
  115. Trafalgar Colliery
  116. Tramroad
  117. Trow
  118. True Blue Colliery
  119. Union Colliery
  120. Upper and Middle Forge
  121. Upper Lydbrook Station
  122. Upper Mill, Edge Hills
  123. Upper Redbrook
  124. Verderer (definition)
  125. Verderers' Court
  126. Welshbury Hill Fort
  127. Westbury Brook Iron Mine
  128. Whitecliff Furnace
  129. Whitecliff House
  130. Whitecliff Quarry
  131. Whitecroft
  132. Whitecross Manor
  133. Wigpool, Gloucestershire
  134. Wintour, Sir John
  135. Woodside Colliery, Ruardean
  136. Worcester Walk
  137. Yat (definition)
  138. Yorkley Court
Littledean, Gloucestershire

Several generations of Burgums of the "RR" and "AA" family tree lived at Littledean, in the Forest of Dean.

Littledean, in the Forest of Dean, was home to familes from both the "RR" and "AA" family trees, although no connection has yet been made between the two families. The following information is from Kelly's Directory of Little Dean 1894 and includes a reference to Dorcas Burgum, teacher at the local school. Dorcas was sister to Timothy Burgum who, together with many of his family, left Littledean and emigrated to Australia. Burgum descendants of Timothy continue to live in Queensland, Perth and Sydney, Australia. On the right is a picture of Littledean Church, where the Burgums worshipped. Burgum gravestones are still visible in the churchyard.

LITTLE DEAN is a parish and large village, on the borders of the Forest of Dean, and on the road from Newnham to Ross, 2 miles north-west from Newnham station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, and 2 miles east from Cinderford station on the Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge railway, and 12 south-west from Gloucester, in the Forest of Dean division of the county, Saint Briavels hundred, Newnham petty sessional division and county court district, Westbury-on-Severn union, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Ethelbert is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing a clock and 6 bells; the chancel arch is Norman; there are tablets to the Pyrke family: the church has sittings for 360 persons. The register dates from the year 1684. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent charge £87, net yearly value £146, with glebe (£5) and residence, in the gift of the trustees of the Church Patronage Society, and held since 1890 by the Rev. George Alexander Papendick Arbuhnot. Here is a Congregational chapel. A cemetery of one-third of an acre was formed in 1881, at a cost of £106 15s. 6d. and is under the control of a burial board of 9 members. The charities are of about £25 yearly value, derived from land and houses, and distributed to the poor in bread and cloth. Fairs are held on Whit Sunday and the 26th November yearly, for cattle, sheep, and pigs. On a hill near the church, called Camp Hill, is a circular encampment, and several Roman roads still remain. Dean Hall is the residence of Mrs. Guise Maynard Willoughby Colchester-Wemyss esq. J. P. of Westbury Court, Westbury-on-Severn, who is lord of the manor, Thomas Wintle esq, Sir Thomas Hyde Crawley-Boevey, bart. J. P. of Flaxley Abbey, Duncombe Pyrje esq. of St. Leonard's-on-Sea, and Mrs. Goold are the chief landowners. The soil is chiefly loam; the subsoil is sand and dunstone. Coal and iron ore are procured in the neighbourhood. The chief crops are wheat and roots and some land in pasture. The area is 700 acres; rateable value, £2,050; the population in 1891 was 843. Sexton, William Nash.

Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office:- Mrs. Maria Baghurst, sub-postmistres. Letters received through Newnham at 7.10 a.m. & 3.20 p.m. ; dispatched at 9.30 a.m. & 6.5 & 8.15 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Cinderford.

Here is Newnham Petty Sessional court & house of remand for prisoners; Gilbert White, sergeant, & 1 constable.

National School (mixed), built in 1848, for 220 children: average attendance, 131 boys & girls & 60 infants; William R. T. Cullis, master; Miss Dorcas Burgam, infant's mistress.

Carriers to Gloucester:- Joseph Phelps, sat.; Jacob Brown, from Cinderford, mon. wed. & sat.

ARBUTHNOT Rev. George Alexander Papendick, Rectory
FORD Athur John Randle, Hill house
GOOLD Frederick Forester
GUISE Mrs., Dean hall
RESKELLY Rev. Chas. Jolly (Congreg)
WALYEN William A
WILSON Miss, Frogmore cottage

BATHE Frank, grocer
BENSON Elizabeth (Miss), draper
BLUETT Edward, fish dealer
BOUGHTON Edmund, farmer
BOUGHTON Oliver, farmer, The Temple
BRAIN Albert Esau, farmer & clerk to the burial board
BRAIN Esau, carpenter
BRYANT John, shoe maker
CEMETERY (Albert Brain, clerk to the burial board)
DEE Tom, Bell P. H.
DREW William, farmer
EMBLING Mary (Mrs.), farmer
GEORGE William, nail maker
GOOLD Frederick Forester, barrister
GWILLIAM Henry, nail ma. & naturalist
HAINES James, blacksmith
HELT Henry, shoe maker
HEAVEN James, surveyor to the Kent, Surrey & General Land Society
HORWOOD Hy., farmer, Greenway farm
KNIGHT Aaron, bailiff to Newnham county court
LONG Edwin, lodging ho. (registered)
MORGAN Sidney James, wheelwright & carpenter
NELMES James, shopkeeper
PARRY Emma (Mrs.) shopkeeper
PARRY John, market gardener
PHELPS Joseph, carrier & haulier
QUICK James Stone, George P. H.
ROBINS Sarah & Edith (Misses), frmrs.
SMITH Hester (Mrs.), poulterer
SMITH Sarah Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Court farm
SMITH William, carpenter
STUBBS William, farmer, Dean cottage
WESTBROOK Alfred, farmer & collector of rates, King's Head P. H.
WILKES Henry, beer retailer
WYNN George, chimney sweep

More on the AA Family Tree here.
Create a link

More on the FF Family Tree here.
Create a link