The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names

Places and People Forest of Dean

  1. About the Forest of Dean
  2. Abenhall, Gloucestershire
  3. Anchor Inn, Lydbrook
  4. Ariconium, Herefordshire
  5. Arthur and Edward Colliery
  6. Bigsweir, Gloucestershire
  7. Bishopswood, Herefordshireshire
  8. Bixslade (Bicslade)
  9. Blakeney, Gloucestershire
  10. Bloomery (definition)
  11. Bradley House
  12. Bream, Gloucestershire
  13. Bullo Pill, Gloucestershire
  14. Cannop Colliery
  15. Cinderford, Gloucestershire
  16. Clearwell, Gloucestershire
  17. Coleford, Gloucestershire
  18. Collieries
  19. Crawshay, Henry
  20. Danby Lodge
  21. Darkhill Brick, Colliery + Ironworks
  22. Dates in the Forest of Dean
  23. Dean Forest (Mines) Act 1838
  24. Dean Forest Railway
  25. Dean Forest (Reafforestation)
    Act 1668
  26. The Dean Forest Riots
  27. Dean Hall, Littledean
  28. Dean Heritage Centre
  29. Dean Road
  30. Drybrook, Gloucestershire
  31. Eastern United Colliery
  32. Fairplay Iron Mine
  33. Findall Iron Mine
  34. Flaxley, Gloucestershire
  35. Forest of Dean Central Railway
  36. Free Miners
  37. Green Bottom
  38. Gunns Mill
  39. The Haie (house + tunnel)
  40. Harvey, F. W.
  41. Hopewell Engine Colliery
  42. Horlick, James and William
  43. Kings Lodge
  44. Lightmoor Colliery
  45. Littledean, Gloucestershire
  46. Lower Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  47. Lydbrook, Gloucestershire
  48. Lydney, Gloucestershire
  49. Mining and Forest Terms
  50. Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
  51. Mushet, David and Robert
  52. Nelson Colliery
  53. Newland, Gloucestershire
  54. Newnham, Gloucestershire
  55. Northern United Colliery
  56. Offas Dyke
  57. Parkend, Gloucestershire
  58. Pillowell, Gloucestershire
  59. Protheroe, Edward
  60. Pubs of the Forest of Dean
  61. Purton, Gloucestershire
  62. Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  63. Ruardean, Gloucestershire
  64. Severn and Wye Railway Co.
  65. Severn Bridge Railway
  66. Shakemantle Iron Mine
  67. Speech House
  68. Speech House Hill Colliery
  69. St Briavels Castle
  70. St Briavels, May-pole
  71. Strip-and at-it Colliery
  72. Symonds Yat
  73. Teague, James
  74. Teague, Moses
  75. Trafalgar Colliery
  76. Tramroad
  77. True Blue Colliery
  78. Union Colliery
  79. Upper and Middle Forge
  80. Upper Lydbrook Station
  81. Upper Mill, Edge Hills
  82. Upper Redbrook
  83. Verderer (definition)
  84. Verderers' Court
  85. Welshbury Hill Fort
  86. Westbury Brook Iron Mine
  87. Whitecliff Furnace
  88. Whitecliff House
  89. Whitecliff Quarry
  90. Whitecroft
  91. Whitecross Manor
  92. Wigpool, Gloucestershire
  93. Wintour, Sir John
Henry Crawshay (1812-1879)

Henry Crawshay
was born in Lewisham, Kent, on 17th November 1812. He was the son of an Ironmaster, William Crawshay, who was heavily involved in the South Wales iron trade, in particular the great Cyfarthfa Ironworks at Merthyr Tydfil, one of the most important in South Wales. The family home had been Cyfarthfa Castle.

In about 1835 Moses Teague and his partners were looking for an investor to help with their business in Cinderford. Teague invited William Crawshay and his son Henry to the Forest. Successful negotiations result in the formation of the Cinderford Iron Company, which proved a great success.

The company furnaces were supplied with iron ore from the Buckshaft Mine and coal from the Lightmoor Colliery. Henry Crawshaw built his own railways and the business went from strength to strength, employing about 2,000 people. Between 1860 and 1870 it is estimate 398,725 tons of iron ore were raised. He was said to be a good employer and, when Forest miners went on strike in 1874, he wrote to the newspapers urging other employers to allow their workmen “bright hearths and joyous hearts” at Christmas!

The Crawshay's also owned the Persevereance Iron Mine, Shakemantle and the Northern United Mine. ed aid to schools at Blakeney and Newnham.

Henry lived in Abbotswood House, Rusbridge, and worshipped at St Johns Church, in Cinderford. Henry bought the Blaisdon Estate, built Blaisdon Hall, and paid to restore the church which was in a very poor condition. Later he did the same at Awre and also donated aid to schools at Blakeney and Newnham.

Henry was living at Oaklands Park when he died in November 1879He died of primary diabetes, congestion of the lungs and heart disease. He had 10 children in his lifetime and several grandchildren. He was described in his obituary as the "Iron King of the Forest of Dean".