BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Places and People Forest of Dean

  1. About the Forest of Dean
  2. Abenhall, Gloucestershire
  3. Anchor Inn, Lydbrook
  4. Ariconium, Herefordshire
  5. Arthur and Edward Colliery
  6. Bigsweir, Gloucestershire
  7. Bishopswood, Herefordshireshire
  8. Bixslade (Bicslade)
  9. Blakeney, Gloucestershire
  10. Bloomery (definition)
  11. Bradley House
  12. Bream, Gloucestershire
  13. Bullo Pill, Gloucestershire
  14. Cannop Colliery
  15. Cinderford, Gloucestershire
  16. Clearwell, Gloucestershire
  17. Coleford, Gloucestershire
  18. Collieries
  19. Crawshay, Henry
  20. Danby Lodge
  21. Darkhill Brick, Colliery + Ironworks
  22. Dates in the Forest of Dean
  23. Dean Forest (Mines) Act 1838
  24. Dean Forest Railway
  25. Dean Forest (Reafforestation)
    Act 1668
  26. The Dean Forest Riots
  27. Dean Hall, Littledean
  28. Dean Heritage Centre
  29. Dean Road
  30. Drybrook, Gloucestershire
  31. Eastern United Colliery
  32. Fairplay Iron Mine
  33. Findall Iron Mine
  34. Flaxley, Gloucestershire
  35. Forest of Dean Central Railway
  36. Free Miners
  37. Green Bottom
  38. Gunns Mill
  39. The Haie (house + tunnel)
  40. Harvey, F. W.
  41. Hopewell Engine Colliery
  42. Horlick, James and William
  43. Kings Lodge
  44. Lightmoor Colliery
  45. Littledean, Gloucestershire
  46. Lower Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  47. Lydbrook, Gloucestershire
  48. Lydney, Gloucestershire
  49. Mining and Forest Terms
  50. Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
  51. Mushet, David and Robert
  52. Nelson Colliery
  53. Newland, Gloucestershire
  54. Newnham, Gloucestershire
  55. Northern United Colliery
  56. Offas Dyke
  57. Parkend, Gloucestershire
  58. Pillowell, Gloucestershire
  59. Protheroe, Edward
  60. Pubs of the Forest of Dean
  61. Purton, Gloucestershire
  62. Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  63. Ruardean, Gloucestershire
  64. Severn and Wye Railway Co.
  65. Severn Bridge Railway
  66. Shakemantle Iron Mine
  67. Speech House
  68. Speech House Hill Colliery
  69. St Briavels Castle
  70. St Briavels, May-pole
  71. Strip-and at-it Colliery
  72. Symonds Yat
  73. Teague, James
  74. Teague, Moses
  75. Trafalgar Colliery
  76. Tramroad
  77. True Blue Colliery
  78. Union Colliery
  79. Upper and Middle Forge
  80. Upper Lydbrook Station
  81. Upper Mill, Edge Hills
  82. Upper Redbrook
  83. Verderer (definition)
  84. Verderers' Court
  85. Welshbury Hill Fort
  86. Westbury Brook Iron Mine
  87. Whitecliff Furnace
  88. Whitecliff House
  89. Whitecliff Quarry
  90. Whitecroft
  91. Whitecross Manor
  92. Wigpool, Gloucestershire
  93. Wintour, Sir John
Coleford, Gloucestershire

COLEFORD
grew from small beginnings and only had about eight houses in it in the mid-1300's. The Forest of Dean was primarily a Royal Hunting ground although there was small scale iron ore mining and some of the woodland was used to produce charcoal. It had a church by 1489. A small garrison was established there in 1642 by Parlimentarians during the English Civil War. When a Royalist army from Monmouth entered Coleford with 2000 men on their way to Gloucester, the Roundheads and some locals treid to bar their way. Three Royalist officers were shot dead, but the King's men managed to take several Roundhead officers prisoner and the Parliamentarians fled. During the altercation the market-house was burned down.

King Charles was restored to the throne in 1660 and a market was established soon after. However a new market house was not built until 1679. The town grew over the next 30 years and had an estimated 160 houses by 1710. By 1830 there were about 8 pubs and many more beerhouse; the Foresters were very thirsty people! The market house was reconstructed on a larger scale.

Coleford Market Place - geograph.org.uk - 743937 - edit The church, sited in the market place, was demolished in 1882 being too small, although the tower was left standing together with its'clock. The town hall (market house) was also demolished in 1968 leaving the clock tower as the only lasting monument to the market place. The larger church, St John the Evangelist, had been built elsewhere but even that was sold off in 2016.

The small hamlet of Whitecliff lies half a mile south-west of Coleford on the way to Newland. There was ore smithy, a sort of early furnace, here in 1361 and several more in the 1400's and 1500's. However the furnace of Whitecliff ironworks began firing in about 1801 and a scond was built around 1808. Unfortuantely the furnace required considerable quantities of high quality coke, which was expensive. Consequently the project was abandoned in about 1814, but the ruins still remain.

Various sites near Coleford were quarried for Limestone and there were coal-mines to the north and east of the town. However as these industries began to wain, Coleford adapted. It became the main base for the Forest of Dean District Council and its growing populations attracted several major companies who had factories there.