BURGUM FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The Burgum family history society is a member of the Guild of one name studies and researches the names
BURGUM
and BURGHAM

Places

  1. RETURN TO PLACES LIST
  2. About the Forest of Dean
  3. Abenhall, Gloucestershire
  4. Adits (definition)
  5. Anchor Inn, Lydbrook
  6. Ariconium, Herefordshire
  7. Arthur and Edward Colliery
  8. Bigsweir, Gloucestershire
  9. Bishopswood, Herefordshireshire
  10. Bixslade (Bicslade)
  11. Blakeney, Gloucestershire
  12. Bloomery (definition)
  13. Bradley House
  14. Brain, Cornelius
  15. Brain, Sir Francis
  16. Bream, Gloucestershire
  17. Bullo Pill, Gloucestershire
  18. Cannop Colliery
  19. Cinderford, Gloucestershire
  20. Clearwell, Gloucestershire
  21. Coalway, Gloucestershire
  22. Coleford, Gloucestershire
  23. Crawshay, Henry
  24. Danby Lodge
  25. Darkhill Brick, Colliery + Ironworks
  26. Dates in the Forest of Dean
  27. Dean Forest (Mines) Act 1838
  28. Dean Forest Railway
  29. Dean Forest (Reafforestation)
    Act 1668
  30. The Dean Forest Riots
  31. Dean Hall, Littledean
  32. Dean Heritage Centre
  33. Dean Road
  34. Delves (definition)
  35. Drew, Catherine
  36. Drifts (definition)
  37. Drybrook, Gloucestershire
  38. Eastern United Colliery
  39. Edge Hills Quarry
  40. Elwood, Gloucestershire
  41. Encloosure Act (1808)
  42. Euroclydon House
  43. Fairplay Iron Mine
  44. Favourite Free Mine
  45. Findall Iron Mine
  46. Flaxley, Gloucestershire
  47. Forest Of Dean Central Railway
  48. Free Miners
  49. Gale (definition)
  50. Gaveller (definition)
  51. Gunns Mill
  52. Green Bottom, Gloucestershire
  53. The Haie (house)
  54. Haie Hill Tunnel
  55. Harvey, F. W.
  56. The Hayes, Blakeney
  57. Hope Mansell, Herefordshire
  58. Hopewell Engine Colliery
  59. Horlick, James and William
  60. Iron Mine Level, Lydbrook
  61. Kensley Lodge
  62. Kings Lodge
  63. Littledean, Gloucestershire
  64. Lower Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  65. Lydbrook, Gloucestershire
  66. Lydney, Gloucestershire
  67. Mine Train Quarry
  68. Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
  69. Monument Mine
  70. Mushet, David
  71. Mushet, Robert
  72. Newland, Gloucestershire
  73. New Mills
  74. Newnham, Gloucestershire
  75. Norchard Colliery
  76. North United Mine
  77. Oaklands Court
  78. Oaklands Park
  79. Offas Dyke
  80. Old Bow Iron Mine
  81. Old Ham Iron Mine
  82. Parkend, Gloucestershire
  83. Perserverance Iron Mine
  84. Pill (definition)
  85. Pillowell, Gloucestershire
  86. Point Quarry
  87. Princess Royal Colliery
  88. Protheroe, Edward
  89. Pubs of the Forest of Dean
  90. Purton, Gloucestershire
  91. Redbrook, Gloucestershire
  92. Ruardean, Gloucestershire
  93. Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire
  94. Ruardean Woodside, Gloucestershire
  95. Scowles (definition)
  96. Siddon, Sarah
  97. Severn and Wye Railway
  98. Severn and Wye Tramway
  99. Severn Railway Bridge
  100. Severn Road Bridge
  101. Shakemantle Iron Mine
  102. Sling, Gloucestershire
  103. Soudley, Gloucestershire
  104. South Wales Railway
  105. Speculation Colliery
  106. Speech House
  107. Speech House Hill Colliery
  108. St Briavels Castle
  109. St Briavels, May-pole
  110. Staple Edge Lodge
  111. Strip-and at-it Colliery
  112. Symonds Yat
  113. Teague, James
  114. Teague, Moses
  115. Trafalgar Colliery
  116. Tramroad
  117. Trow
  118. True Blue Colliery
  119. Union Colliery
  120. Upper and Middle Forge
  121. Upper Lydbrook Station
  122. Upper Mill, Edge Hills
  123. Upper Redbrook
  124. Verderer (definition)
  125. Verderers' Court
  126. Welshbury Hill Fort
  127. Westbury Brook Iron Mine
  128. Whitecliff Furnace
  129. Whitecliff House
  130. Whitecliff Quarry
  131. Whitecroft
  132. Whitecross Manor
  133. Wigpool, Gloucestershire
  134. Wintour, Sir John
  135. Woodside Colliery, Ruardean
  136. Worcester Walk
  137. Yat (definition)
  138. Yorkley Court
Anchor Inn, Lydbrook

The Anchor Inn at Lower Lydbrook is said to have buildings that date back to the 15th century. However, the earliest known reference to the Anchor Inn in Lydbrook was when it was offered for sale in the ‘Gloucester Journal’ dated 30th November 1807. Mary Wilce paid five shillings in poor rates in 1831, when the rateable value was set at £4. The inn was adjacent to the tinplate works and, at one time, the horses were stabled at the Anchor.

The ‘Gloucestershire Chronicle’ dated March 26th 1870 reported that ‘Thomas Phelps and William Brazington had been prosecuted for being drunk, creating a disturbance and refusing to leave the Anchor Inn at Lydbrook. Phelps was fined 30 shillings and costs or one month imprisonment, and Brazington was fined five shillings and costs or thirteen days imprisonment.’

Between 1879 and 1891 the inn was run by the Burgum family, part of the "GG" family Tree".

 
The Anchor Inn sold beers from the Wickwar Brewery, owned by Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd from the early 1900's. It closed on 9th May 1954 when John Cooper was the licensee, probably selling Cheltenham Original Brewery ales at the time. The license of the premises was relinquished and transferred to the Bailey Inn at Yorkley. In 1967 the premises was owned by Edwards Transport and the structure of the inn had fallen into considerable disrepair. After being closed for 26 years the Anchor Inn reopened with a restrictive restaurant licence in 1980, gaining a full on-licence a year later. The Anchor Inn is still successfully trading, although I understand an application for it to be changed to domestic housing was received recently.

Landlords at the Anchor Inn
1807 - John Banton
1831 - Mary Wilce
1840,1856 - Edwin Thompson
1863 - John Hancorn
1869, 1870 - Robert Russell (owner Lydbrook Chemical Company)
1876 - Edwin Jones (Morris & Co Commercial Directory & Gazetter 1876)
1878, 1879 - Robert Banks (from the Kings Head, at Cinderford)
1879 - A. Burgham
1885 - William Burgham
1887, 1891 - Hannah Burgum
1891 - A.J. Russell (free from brewery tie, rateable value £24.15s.0d). 1894 - Mr Phelps
1895 - Edwin Jones
1897 - Mrs Ellen Phelps
1903 - William Russell (leased, Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery)
1906 - Mrs Ellen Phelps
1912,1913 - Frederick Jones (moved to the Sawyers Arms, Lydbrook)
1914 - Osborne Meek (until Feb’ 1914)
1915 - George Meek
1925,1927 - Mary A. Meek
1935 Gertrude and Sidney ‘Squib’ Howells
1938 Jim Cooper (closed 9th May 1954)
1979-1983 David Price
1983 - Barbara Williams
1985 - Alan Sharp and Yvonne Woodhouse
1988 - Irene Breakwell and Sheila Tropman
1990 - Stephen J. Tomkins
1992, 2008 - Alan McLean

For more on the GG Family Tree Click here.